Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Zinfandel Ports

Since it is Valentine's Day, it seems appropriate to talk about something sweet.  Sweet zins and pinots you ask?  Yes, actually.

From time to time over the past decade or so since I first discovered them, I have enjoyed sampling some California zinfandel ports, along with an occasional port made from petit syrah, merlot and other grapes.  Zins seem to work best among the California varietals for this purpose.

It is difficult to keep up with what is going on in this space as these wines receive very little press, but I did find a place where you can keep track of the recent port medal winners, including more than a handful of zin ports: winejudging.com

In addition to the recent medal winners, I would like to highlight some of my favorite zin ports, roughly in order of preference, but most of which I have not tasted in the current vintage:
  • Hartford Family Winery -- available only to wine club members, I believe, at the moment
  • Rosenblum Cellars -- currently has three different zin ports available
  • Eric Ross Winery
  • Trentadue -- also offers an excellent petite sirah port, as well as viogner (!?!) port that I have not tried, but sounds intriguing
  • Lolonis -- I haven't had any zin ports from Lolonis in awhile, but it looks like they may have upgraded their offerings -- or at least their price points
  • Ficklin -- a California port pioneer

Note to repeat readers: I have repaired all the broken links which may not have been working on previous visits.

No comments: